« Home | Build with good works » | Don't spread rumors » | God will help with hard things » | God is with you » | Changes comes through the Lord » | God's way is best » | Care by sharing » | Be dependable » | Grow into maturity » | Be ready for Jesus » 

Thursday, March 09, 2006 

Obey your parents

Today's word: Proverbs 4:1-10

1 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
pay attention and gain understanding.

2 I give you sound learning,
so do not forsake my teaching.

3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,

4 he taught me and said,
"Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.

5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.

6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.

7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, [a] get understanding.

8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.

9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
and present you with a crown of splendor."

10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
and the years of your life will be many.

How about you?
Do you obey your parents? You need their guidance, and God commands you to obey them. Next time you're tempted to disobey, remember that God often uses parents to guard you from danger.

To memorize: Ephesians 6:2-3
"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

what about drug addicts parents?
what if the parents call the children to steal and take drugs too? (T_T)

venetia

Good point Venetia, that is why the word wisdom is mentioned so many times in the scripture passage.

We should obey our parents if their instructions are in accordance with the teachings of Jesus. So we need the wisdom fr the Lord to distinguish between what is right and wrong.

We are taught to honour our parents
as children (esp. teenagers) are rebellious in nature. Parents (normally) knows what is good for us in view of their wide experience. They have also gone through what we may now be going through. Might not exactly be same but is very similar.

Thus teenagers must be respectful,
obedient and not go astray through mixing with "bad" company. The teenage years will formulate our future life as an adult and thus is very essential to our growing up. Teenagers must always be on guard against the dangers that they will face during this most important phase of their life.

Would like to share this short prayer with you all. [cannot remember who first said it]

"God, please give me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to
know the difference". Amen.

Prayer was accredited to Francis of Assissi if I am not wrong....

Oh yes, I think you are right.

Btw, do you know that his bones were buried at the "A Farmosa"
crypt in Malacca? It used to be a
tourist attraction.

Am not sure whether St. Francis have since been reburied elsewhere.

St. Francis Institution and St. Francis Convent were named after him. A great servant of the Lord.

Post a Comment