« Home | God will help with hard things » | God is with you » | Changes comes through the Lord » | God's way is best » | Care by sharing » | Be dependable » | Grow into maturity » | Be ready for Jesus » | Trust God in all things » | Express thanks to others » 

Monday, March 06, 2006 

Don't spread rumors

Today's word: James 3:5-10

5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

7All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

How about you?
Do you ever say unkind words? Do you help spread gossip and rumors that will hurt other people? God says that a mouth which is used to bless and praise Him should not be used to hurt others. How will you use your tongue?

To memorize: James 3:6
The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil

yah...last time my tongue is super sharp & i purposedly like to use my wit in an `evil' way to hurt ppl's feeling. This is before I'm born again christian lah...in secondary school especially. Then later, when i started reading the bible more regularly & getting to know Jesus personally, I realise that the bible says lots on guarding the tongue. Ancient Path has really emphasized the power of the tongue. Lots of ppl are living a life succumbed by lies because of what ppl has SAID about them. So I really guard my heart & tongue nowadays. I have made a decision only to bless & exalt ppl. Not to condemn. Rebuke must be done with caution & love.

yeah. not only it corrupts the whole person, it also destrys other ppl.gagagagaga maybe not as destructive but it spreads and hurts others.experianced hurting words from others and no doubt towards others. more to come i guess. also need God to guard my heart and mind since no man can tame the tongue. lalallala hm............................

venetia

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

venetia

(haha jk)

Yes, harsh and hurtful words once said cannot be taken back. We can feel sorry and regret but the damage is done. That is why we tend to hurt those that we love without really trying -- all because of an uncontrolable tongue!

The "evil tongue" is responsible for gossips. So it is good to remember that if we have nothing good to say abt someone, it is best not to say anything at all.

I cannot remember who said these words "If only I had not said the things I said but instead said the things I should have said I would have been a much happier person today"

So lets guard our tongues in obedience and use our words to bring forth comfort and joy instead of pain and unhappiness.

Hey, here's a tip that I remembered. "When you are angry, dont say anything". Definitely not easy to do! We can only keep on trying...

Jimmy Durante once said "My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe"! Hahahaha!

Lets guard our tongues indeed, and pray the same prayer that the psalmist did in Psalm 141:3 - "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over my lips"

Amen

Jimmy D, the funny guy with the funny nose (his trademark, yah?)
A great comediene indeed.

I think other than keeping constant guard against saying the wrong or hurtful things, there are times that we should try to say what we should say.

For instance, words of comfort to those that need to be consoled, words of healing to those who are hurting and words of compassion to those who are grieving.

Sometimes we feel like saying something but we are too shy to say or lack the confidence to say it out. Yeah, I have been tongue-tied before. Well, there are times when being present is also "saying things" and our feelings can be expressed in many ways.

But coming back to the devotional issue, spreading gossips/rumors are to be avoided since we are told to "judge not, lest ye be judged". Like Suz M says, we can rebuke with love out of concern
for that particular person but we have to do it in a sensitive manner. Knowing how to express it properly is also important.


Say nice words, or say nothing at all. This is something that I need to remind myself all the time, cos I am a very different person when I lose my temper.[I did lose it several times, but it kept coming back!! real thick-skinned rascal that doesn't know when it is not welcomed.]

"Alabare a mi Senhor" I will praise the Lord. When our hearts are filled with the love of Jesus, our tongues will be more inclined towards words of love. Hallelujah.

Post a Comment